instagram

Thursday, February 21, 2019

Driving license in Singapore

Hello there !

Just thought I should pen down my journey in getting my driving license in our SUNNY Singapore! 

Before getting your license, there's a few things you gotta decide!


  • Auto or Manual

Auto means CLASS 3A - You will be able to drive almost all cars that doesn't involve the clutch. 

I chose Auto (I will explain why later)

  • School or Private
Many thinks that Private = cheaper but that's really wrong! I think it all boils down to how fast you can absorb and learn - as well as finding the right instructor.

I will only share about my own experiences as a private student ya :-)

So... back in 2015/16, I enrolled in CDC as a private student. Signed up for my basic theory test which cost a few dollars only.

I bought the BTT book from popular book store, and really read through everything. I guess the trick to passing is to have your friends sending you all the mock papers WITH answers! 

You just have to remember, safety comes first. ha-ha.

Same from FTT, I only browse through the mock papers the day before. I passed both paper on my first try!
Oh, and to mention, BTT results will be valid forever but for FTT, it's only valid for 2 years, SO you gotta pass your driving license in 2 years, else you gotta retake your FTT paper again.

After passing my FTT, I immediately applied for my Provisional Driving Licence because I can't wait to start my practical lessons already, oh, that will cost you another $25. Good news is, back in my days, that licence will only last you for 6 months (I think), and you will have to apply again (which means paying another $25). Now for $25, it will be valid for 2 years!!!!!!

Initially, I wanted to get a CLASS 3 license because I thought it's kinda cool? 

I found a private instructor, went for my lessons, and I am on the verge of giving up. It's not that difficult but it's so tiring help. I can't really coordinate my legs and hands hahahaha. So the instructor told me some people will give up and go for class 3A license instead oops. 

After a few lessons, I gave up and took a break for more than a year. Until I realised, my FTT is gonna expire in 6months. *panic mode on*

Oh and that's in early 2018. My boyfriend stay in Woodlands, so naturally, I decided to enrol in SSDC instead because CDC is just very ulu to go to from my place. 

After 2018 CNY, I started taking my class 3A license on my OFF days. Usually 1hour per lesson. I think it's about $36/hr? If you need to go to the circuit, the lesson will be 1.5hrs instead and will cost around $60+ because as a private candidate, you need to pay the driving school some money for using their circuit.

Fast forward 4months, I finally went for my driving test!!!
I remember being nervous because if I fail my test, it means I have to retake my FTT. I took my test in August 2018 with my FTT expiring in September 2018.

My tester is a young Malay guy, and he is very unfriendly which makes me even more nervous ?

The test is pretty fast, you will start off in the circuit first, just remember to drive slowly and do what you always do during your lessons and you will be fine! :-)

Passed my class 3A driving test with 14 demerit points. Passing grade is - less than 20 demerit points with no immediate failure mistake.

I got 4 demerit points for failing to confirm safety while doing parallel parking, 8 demerit points for not giving enough side clearance to other road users/object (I honestly don't rmb?) and 2 demerit points for being too slow for the traffic condition oops.

After passing, you need to watch a safety video and pay another $50 for your license card to be mailed to your house!!!

That's my experience, good luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment